Monday 7 April 2014

Hand Printed Fabric - Girls Boat Neck Dress in Kim's Flower


This lovely Pink dress with boat neck has been hand printed with Kim's Flower stamp in pinks. the original seen here was printed in blue hues as a gift for Kim.

The pattern for this dress was thrifted recently and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to print up some pinks in this pattern.

I like the thought of a boat neck, but now having made the dress would probably never do it again from this pattern. Being an old pattern it had no clear indication of where to cut off the scoop of the dress (to remove the rounded collar) and was left guessing the stitching lines - which really needed to be accurate to fit.

The pattern is a Butterick 2194 in size 6 to fit breast 24"



The other minor problem I had with this pattern was to do with my printing. I misread the pattern and thought there was only one large panel for the skirt  so didn't print enough fabric, hence I had to go back for another session of printing. Urgh my aching back.

So all in all about 4 hours of printing and a good morning and part afternoon to make up this dress - that's what I call time consuming. I dont even have anybody that I made it for - made it just because I loved the pattern and thought the print would look cute in it.

I still have buttonholes to go and a few hand stitches to be done, but I should finish that tomorrow.




11 comments:

  1. Pretty in Pink!! Such a pretty dress....of course your print maketh the dress. Beautiful flowers....are they in your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim..nah I dont have a green thumb or I cant be bothered too busy trying out new crafty things. My neighbour has several bushes that hang over the fence. My garden is maintained by my husband he is not interested in flowers but it is pretty green at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, lovely the fabric, even better in the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, I think I have found something that I love doing (besides quilting and anything crafty) What I love about producing my own fabric is that it has got me back drawing again and thinking of all the things I want to create. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Oh my, you have got me just a thinkin' away! Love your printing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly -I'm currently trying to collate all relevant blog posts of stamping and hand printing into a page at the top of the blog with a photo so that you can quick reference what you are looking for..hopefully this will be done by next week...It will give you plenty to look at and if you are interested in making your own materials it might help that process.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful printing!
    And the dress and the flowers in the garden go so well together.

    I also like the 'old' pictures in collage 3. Have you got "antique" fashion books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brigitte, thanks. The flowers are from the neighbours hibiscus bushes and the old picture in collage 3 is from a vintage pattern. I collect/ acquire patterns from op shops (most people ignore them here) and generally am attracted to pre 70's stuff

      Delete
  5. Wow, amazing job. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica for visiting and also welcome!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress, I'm totally impressed you printed the fabric! I love making dresses, but I've found that family loves to buy dresses for my daughter. Therefore, I'm left to make the everyday things like leggings. Someday I'll get to make her dresses (I hope)! Until then, I enjoy looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments