Friday 6 April 2012

Good Friday Cooking

I have never really done any cooking especially for Easter before but this year with the encouragement of my daughter Jordana I have actually made hot cross buns. In the past I have tried to make yeast products but failed miserably, probably due to the yeast being too old. Anyway this year success!! I used 2 different recipes, one from a friend at work whom wrote the recipe from memory and the other from the women's  weekly cookbook.
Jill's recipe utilizes half wholemeal flour and half white flour - this appeals to the colorectal nurse in me: providing a little more fibre to the diet. The other recipe is a basic hot cross bun recipe that we added chocolate to, thus appealing to the appetites of my children. Anyway Yummm... love the smell of yeast buns cooking in the oven and devouring a bun with homemade blackberry jam and cream, the best.
(Recipe at the end of text)

Jordy glazing the hot cross buns

Choc hip on the left and wholemeal to the right

 Also another first, home-made toffees as found on the Quince Tree which found it on http:www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/toffees.pdf. For the recipe follow this link:  they were really easy. (I wrote the full address because I don't know if I have enclosed the link properly)
 I didn't have any golden syrup and substituted honey in the same quantity and it worked out fine. Next time I'll try to find a smaller mould to shape them in just to make them a more manageable size to eat. Each batch made 12 in a small muffin tin shape.
Homemade toffees
Shades of Easter colours in baby blanket no.2, Ripple Blanket in bright colours.


Wholemeal Hot Cross Buns

Quantity made 16-18

2 cups plain flour
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon salt
75 grams butter melted
250ml warm milk
2 1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix milk, 1 tsp sugar and yeast. Sit for 5 minutes to activate yeast
mix dry and wet ingredients together allow to rise to double size in warm place.
(The front seat of the car is a good place just ensure you protect your seat covers and cover bowl with clean cloth to maintain moisture)

After proving dough add 1 cup of sultanas/ currants if desired (I add 3/4 cup chocolate)
Knead dough
Roll out to rectangle
Cut hot cross buns and allow to rise again for 15 minutes

Cross the Bun
1/2 cup plain and 1/2 cup water mixed to thin paste
use cake decorating tool to drizzle cross over bun

Bake in hot oven 190 degree C for 15 minutes

Glaze bun with
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon gelatine

mix together and brush over bun

Enjoy!!
And Happy Easter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments